EVENTS FOR FAMILIES, July 20, 2011 – July 27, 2011
July 22: Around the World with Brian Vogan and His Good Buddies at the Marketplace stage
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- For ages two and up.
- Sing and dance on a fantastical trip with this amazing band. Learn to say “hello” in other languages, discover songs about strange animals while you hop, skip and jump around the world!
- Cost: Free
July 23: Guided Canoe Trip Through the
- 8:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
- Explore the beautiful Mercer Slough Nature Park by water with your family. Bellevue Park Rangers lead the canoe trip that begins and ends at the Boat Launch. You’ll see how this amazing ecosystem functions as you travel into the heart of Mercer Slough Nature Park, a 320 acre wetland. With a little luck, you may catch a glimpse of the otters, herons, turtles and other wildlife of Mercer Slough. Kids must be age five and up and there must be one adult caretaker present for every two children. Some paddling experience required and participants are required to paddle a distance of 4 miles.
- Cost: $14 resident, $16 non-resident Pre-registration required by calling 425 452-6885 or online.
July 26: Movie Express at Crossroads Regal Cinema
- 10 a.m.
- Enjoy a family friendly movie at the each Tuesday and Wednesday this summer for just $1. Playing this Tuesday is Despicable Me, rated PG, an animated tale with Steve Carell as the voice Gru, a super villain and reluctant father of three adopted daughters who eventually bring out the best in him.
- Cost: $1
July 26: Megamind at the Bellevue Summer Outdoor Movie Program at the
- Seating open at 7 p.m., movies begin at dusk (around 9 p.m.)
- Bring your kids to this fun, animated sci-fi romp rated PG. Take a low backed chairs or blanket and come early to participate in a People Scavenger Hunt.
- Cost: Free but consider bringing a donation of new clothing for the clients of this week's featured non-profit organization Treehouse, including jeans of all sizes and hooded sweatshirts for kids ages five to eighteen. Also needed are backpacks, messenger bags, warm coats and new socks and underwear. The series continues through August 23 and a schedule of upcoming movies is available online.
July 27: Kids Cove Story Times at
- 10:00 a.m.
- Jill Johnson presents Stories of the Sea and its Creatures at this week’s story time. Get to the Kids Cove on the third floor of Bellevue Square via the center court elevator.
- Cost: Free
Plant Starts at the Crossroads Farmer’s Market from Kitts North Hill Greenhouses
- Tuesdays Noon to 6:30 p.m. May - October
- Deal: Did you start your garden late this year – or not yet? Would you still like to have fresh veggies by this fall? Or a planter outside your kitchen growing fresh herbs? Then stop by Kitts North Hill Greenhouses booth at the Crossroads Farmer’s Market located right across from the old Circuit City building, soon to be the Stone Gardens Climbers Gym. Meet the members of the farm's talented family who are still selling great starts of all sort of vegetable, herbs and flowers. And while you are at the market enjoy an extraordinary ice cream bar from Whidbey Island Ice Cream and bring home some French macarons and fine pastries from Lilli Pilli.
- Good Through: Ongoing
Boredom Buster Kit Supplies at Bargain Prices at
- Deal: Are your kids driving you crazy as they remain often trapped inside and bored by our soggy summer? Then hop in the car and head to Bellevue Art and Frame. Downstairs you’ll find a 75 percent off clearance table with a week’s worth of activity supplies including fabric markers for make your own cool t-shirt designs, color pencils, paint, rubber stamps and card making supplies and books with project instructions.
- Good through: Ongoing