I always have loved Gene Juarez Salons and Spa! I've been a fan since I was a little girl and my mother took me with her to get her hair done, and I sat there and watched everyone.
Last week, I teamed up with Gene Juarez Salons and Spa to shoot a how-to video on some great back-to-school hairstyles in less then 15 minutes. With these tips, you can sleep in!
I was ecstatic that I got to be the hair model. Stylist Levi Powell worked on my hair - and everyone should ask for him. He transformed my hair to a fishtail braid, a chic messy up-do, and a very elegant bun. These looks are perfect in the morning when you have no time to do your hair!
The fishtail braid is so simple! All you need some booby pins and rubber bands. The instructions go as followed:
1. Split the hair into two sections.
2. Pull a little hair from each side, into the opposing side. Your not actually braiding three braids. Your only holding 2 braids, and pulling a proportion that is small from one side to the other.
As Levi says in the video, “It’s very, very simple.”
After it’s finished cover the rubber band with a little bit of hair and a bobby pin. “It doesn’t have to be perfect, it can be a little frail.” he said.
3. Then spread the braid out with your fingers, so you get a wide texture of it.
However, the fishtail braid is not advisable if you have layers in your hair, Levi said. Growing out layers also fits with the 1970s fashions that are coming back, he said.
The next look we did was a chic messy up-do! This look is soft and romantic. The instructions are as follows:
1. Put hair in a simple ponytail.
2. Take a few bobby pins and take pieces of the ponytail and pin each piece exactly where you want it on your hair so it will shape into a bun. You can make a bun in the center of your hair, or you can spread it out over the crown of your head.
“Nothing really needs to be perfect, hair isn’t a science,” Levi said.
3. As you pin the pieces to your head, you will want to create a little curl, wave and bounce, he said. Don’t pull the pieces so tightly, he said.
4. Any extra loose hairs , do the same and pin them up into the bun.
When your finished, this look can be worn with sweatpants to dresses. It really works for any look.
An elegant bun
The final look was an elegant bun. This look is perfect for a complete worn-out mess of a hairstyle.
If you have really bad bed head, or didn’t wash your hair the night before, this is your look. The instructions are as follows:
1. Divide your hair into a bottom half and a top half.
2. Put bottom parting in a ponytail.
3. Very loosely, take the top part and twist over the bottom half and twist all of your hair down its length.
4. Then, loosely grab it, and wrap around your hair into a tight, big cinnamon bun.
“If your bun isn’t big enough it won’t work, ” Levi said.
"Some people like to call this 'school-marm' or 'librarian,' " Levi said. "I think it looks cool."
5. Next, bobby pin your bun so it will stay.
6. Finally spray hairspray on it and your done.
Follow these stylish hair looks, and you can ready for school or the day in less then 15 minutes! Be sure to come and visit Gene Juarez for all their back to school services!