Learn tools to help you work “with” your child. In this 4-session series offered by Youth Eastside Services for parents of children under 12, parents will learn how to:
- Practice mutual respect to defuse power struggles.
- Use genuine encouragement and strengthen the bond with your child.
- Communicate so both you and your child feel listened to.
Week 1: Building the Parenting Foundation
- Learn which discipline styles are most effective
- Understand how development influences parenting
- Examine the role of temperament
Week 2: Developing Emotion Management Skills
- Understand emotions and the role they play in parenting
- Cultivate an ally relationship with your child
- Understand what motivates your child’s behavior
Week 3: Talking So Your Children Will Listen
- Improve family communication—what helps, what hurts
- Use family meetings and family agreements
- Address your children’s misbehavior by examining their thinking
Week 4: Be a Happier Parent While Building Children’s Life Skills
- Barriers to effective parenting
- What kids need to succeed
- Simplicity parenting
Preregistration required. $90 for the four-class series which includes the book, Positive Discipline, by Jane Nelson. Costs are per parent or parenting couple.
For more information and to register for the series, please call 425.747.4937 or email Info@YouthEastsideServices.org.
Instructor: Jennifer Watanabe is a parent coach and certified Positive Discipline parenting educator. The mother of two teenage sons, she has been teaching parenting classes at Bellevue College for 15 years.
For more classes, go to: http://www.youtheastsideservices.org/classes/