Do you bike to work? How easy is it to bike around Bellevue?
The Group Health Commute Challenge starts today. According to Cascade Bicycle Club, 625 residents and 373 people who work in Bellevue, with some overlap, participated in the Group Health Commute Challenge in 2011, with 237 registering as new riders.
Bike to Work Day, with dozens of commuter stations around the region, will be May 18.
The city of Bellevue provided some tips for being safe, if you're venturing out on the trails and roads on bike:
Of course, it's important for cyclists and motorists to recognize that each has a responsibility to look out for each other. Here are a few tips to help cyclists and motorists have a safe trip.
Cyclists can ride safely in traffic by:
- Obeying stop signs and stop lights;
- Riding single file when appropriate; and
- Always using hand signals.
Driver can safely share the road with bicyclists by:
- Allowing at least three feet when passing a cyclist;
- Treating a bike like any slow moving vehicle; and
- Always being alert and looking for cyclists.
-- Information from the City of Bellevue