Standoff at Bellevue Thriftway Ends with Renton Shooting Suspect in Custody

Both directions of Lakemont Boulevard in Bellevue were closed to traffic as law enforcement negotiated with the man.

The armed man involved in a standoff in Bellevue outside the Matthew's Thriftway in the Lakemont neighborhood gave up around 10:15 p.m. Wednesday, the King County Sheriff's Office reported.

Deputies had connected the 23-year-old man with a shooting in Renton on Monday. 

Update 10:15 p.m.:  

Sgt. Cindi West said the man surrendered to police and was under arrest after a four-hour standoff outside the grocery store, that left some stranded as the negotiations took place outside.

The 23-year-old Renton-area man was being investigated in connection with a shooting in Renton on Monday that injured another man, West said. The armed man pointed a gun at himself after deputies confronted him in the Lakemont Thriftway parking lot.

The man gave up after negotiators convinced his girlfriend, who had been by his side the entire time, to step away from his car, West said.

Update, 8:10 p.m.: Police believe the armed man involved in a standoff outside a Bellevue grocery store shot another man in the leg on Monday in Renton, according to Sgt. Cindi West of the King County Sheriff's Office.

West said the 23-year-old Fairwood man was approached by deputies outside the Matthew's Thriftway as he sat in his car. The suspect then pointed a gun at his own head, prompting a standoff, West said.

The suspect's girlfriend is also near the vehicle, and police are continuing to negotiate with the man.

Meanwhile, those inside the Thriftway have been allowed to leave, but several store employees remain in the area because they cannot access their vehicles. Police have set up a large perimeter in the store's parking lot.

Lisa Callan and her daughter Delaney were in the Thriftway when the SWAT personnel set up outside. The store then made an announcement instructing everyone to move to the back away from the windows in the front of the store.

Lisa Callan said that people inside the store generally were calm.

“I was just, ‘Oh, I guess we’ll hang out away from the glass windows.”

The Callans and a friend were in the store for about an hour while the standoff occurred outside and eventually made their way out a back door and arranged for a ride to pick them up a block away from the store.

“My car is still parked at the store,” Callan said.

“The fire department told us, ‘You got out just in time. The building is being locked down right now,’ ” she said.


More updates to come.


Original post: Bellevue Police and King County Sheriff's deputies are reportedly in a standoff with a shooting suspect near the Matthew's Thriftway in the 4900 block of Lakemont Boulevard SE.

Lakemont Boulevard is closed to traffic in both directions surrounding the area.

KOMO News has reported the male suspect is sitting in a parked car near the grocery store. The Thriftway was originally put on lockdown but everyone inside has since been allowed to leave, according to the TV station.

We're compiling information from police and other media sources in the Storify feed above. We will also update this post as soon as more details are available.

Venice Buhain April 11, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Just got word that everyone in the Lakemont businesses affected in Bellevue standoff have been evacuated. KCSO is still negotiating with the man involved.
Eli April 11, 2013 at 05:36 AM
https://twitter.com/kingcosoPIO Cindi West ‏tweets: 10:15 suspect finally gave up! Will be clearing the scene shortly!
Nicole Lemay April 11, 2013 at 07:33 AM
I cannot be happier to be reading this right, the person shot in the leg Monday night is a VERY close friend of mine, I consider him more like a brother to me than a friend. His Gun shot wound was very bad and left him bleeding nearly to death on the way to the hospital, the OR surgeon had said if he had arrived 10 min later he probably would have bled out and died. The bullet went completely through his leg and hit 3 arteries on its way through his thigh. The hospital had to call in a special surgeon to preform his surgery which took 5+ hrs. The victim is and has been in ICU since he got out of surgery early Tuesday morning, and is expected to stay in there for the next couple of days. The victim will also have to go through therapy when his wounds have healed. I truly hope that the suspect gets a full sentence and is charged with the max penalty. There was absolutely no reason for him to have even shot my friend in the first place except to look like a tough guy or excuse my language but a "badass". Instead he looks like an idiot sitting in jail, right where he belongs and I feel Renton/Fairwood area is a little safer now that this psycho in behind bars, and I really hope he doesn't receive bail.
Jeanne Gustafson April 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM
So glad that no innocent people were injured near our busy neighborhood grocery store and surrounding businesses. Just a few hours before the standoff began, I pulled in there with my son while school children were dropped off. Kudos to Bellevue Police and KCSO.
Beverly Santarelli April 11, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Nicole, Your friend will be in my prayers, :(


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »