State Sen. Steve Litzow, R-Mercer Island, filed to run for re-election in the 41st Legslative District to represent Bellevue, Beaux Arts, Issaquah, Mercer Island, Newcastle, Renton, and Sammamish.
Litzow, a former Mercer Island City Councilman, to finish off the term of Democrat Fred Jarrett, who left his position when he was appointed Deputy King County Executive.
State Senators typically are elected to four year terms.
Litzow's campaign is being co-chaired by Bellevue Deputy Mayor Jennifer Robertson and State Rep. Deb Eddy, a Democrat from Kirkland who is .
“Steve Litzow has been a friend and a solid vote for what is important to me both as a community leader and as a mother concerned for my children’s future,” said Robertson, in the campaign's prepared statement. “His work to hold the line on education funding and pass a sustainable budget gives me confidence that he is the leader we need in the 41st District.”
“Steve Litzow is a true independent leader and his support for women’s healthcare issues is well established,” stated Eddy, in the campaign's prepared statement. “His leadership on education and the budget puts principles before party and is already bringing improvements for our state. As a woman, I trust him to stand up for my choices and as a Democrat, I trust him to vote for what is right over what is partisan.”
At least once challenger, Maureen Judge of Mercer Island, has announced plans to run against Litzow, according to Publicola.
Publicola says that Judge is the former executive director of the Washington Toxics Coalition, a single Mercer Island mom and the publication identifies her as a Democrat.
Other races for Bellevue to watch
- King County Councilman Reagan Dunn, whose County Council District 9 includes Bellevue, Kent, Maple Valley, Newcastle, Enumclaw, Black Diamond, Covington, and Renton, has filed to run for Attorney General as a Republican. Dunn lives in Black Diamond.
- State Attorney General Rob McKenna, a Republican from Bellevue, will run for Governor in a field that will include former Congressman Jay Inslee, a Democrat from Bainbridge Island. McKenna and Inslee are the highest profile names in the race.
- The State Representatives in Legislative Districts 41 (Marcie Maxwell and Judy Clibborn) and 48 (Ross Hunter and Deb Eddy), which both include Bellevue, are all up for reelection this year. Eddy has already announced that she will not run.
- In Congressional District 1, which includes Medina, Medina resident has announced plans to run for the seat being vacated by Inslee.
- Because of redistricting, . Its current congressman, Adam Smith, D-Tacoma, has announced his plans to run again. Jim Postma, a Republican from Steilacoom, filed to run against Smith on Monday.